GWIC updates / Updated Greyhound Rehoming Policy
The Commission has recently reviewed and updated the Greyhound Rehoming Policy. Updates will come into effect on 1 December 2019.
Key features of the updated policy include:
- Greyhounds must be provided with a ‘wind down’ period of at least 30 days after they finish racing or training, before they can be rehomed
- Greyhounds must be desexed before being rehomed to a non-participant (member of the public)
- New minimum standards that participants must meet in attempting to rehome greyhounds
- Greyhounds certified by a vet as unsuitable for rehoming due to behavioural reasons will no longer be exempt from minimum rehoming requirements
- Greyhounds must be rehomed to a competent adult
- Heavy penalties apply when greyhounds are knowingly rehomed to another person and there is a high risk the greyhound will be euthanased soon after
Please find a summary of the key changes here.
View the policy in full here.