Regulatory / Monitoring and Inspections
The Greyhound Welfare and Integrity Commission will employ a number of inspectors who carry out compliance and enforcement functions. Under the Greyhound Racing Act 2017 an inspector has a number of powers in relation to monitoring and inspections.
An inspector has the following powers to inspect and seize:
- An inspector can examine or inspect any part of a premises, lawfully entered, or any animal on the premises
- Take and remove samples
- Make such examinations and inquiries the inspector deems necessary
- Take photographs, film, audio or video recordings
- Require records to be produced, inspect and copy these records
- Seize anything the inspector deems is connected to an offence or used to carry out an offence
An inspector may apply to an authorised officer within the meaning of the the Law Enforcement (Powers and Responsibilities) Act 2002 for a search warrant. The inspector can apply for the warrant if he believes a provision of the Greyhound Racing Act 2017, the regulations, the Code of Practice for the Welfare of Greyhounds or Greyhound Racing Rules is being contravened.