Regulatory / Monitoring and Inspection
The Greyhound Welfare and Integrity Commission employs inspectors who carry out compliance and enforcement functions. Under the Greyhound Racing Act 2017 an inspector has investigation and enforcement powers that support the Commission's welfare and integrity functions.
An inspector has powers to:
- Examine and inspect any part of a premises, lawfully entered, or any animal on the premises
- Take and remove samples
- Make such examinations and inquiries the inspector deems necessary
- Record evidence by taking photographs, film, audio or video recordings
- Require records to be produced, and to inspect and copy these records
- Seize anything the inspector believes is connected to an offence or used to carry out an offence
An inspector can apply to a magistrate, local court registrar or other authorised officer for a search warrant. The inspector can apply for the warrant if a provision of the Greyhound Racing Act 2017, the Greyhound Racing Regulation 2018, or Greyhound Racing Rules has been, is being, or is about to be contravened.