News and Updates / Million Dollar Chase - Participation of Interstate Greyhounds
This information was updated on 2 September 2020.
Greyhound Welfare and Integrity Commission (“GWIC”) has today announced the protocols that will be applied to all interstate greyhounds that are planning to compete in the Million Dollar Chase (“MDC”) series and any other races in New South Wales.
These protocols will be bought in so that the Commission can regulate the movement of greyhounds intending to participate in the upcoming MDC series but also for other interstate greyhounds competing in New South Wales.
The GWIC interstate greyhound protocols are as follows:
Transfer From Interstate To NSW Participant
- From 1 September 2020, the Commission requires that all interstate trainers and/or owners with any greyhound that they intend to transfer to a New South Wales (“NSW”) registered trainer in order to nominate that greyhound for any event in the MDC series, including any supporting advertised Feature events, or any other race that is not part of the MDC series complete a “Interstate Trainer Transfer” notification form prior to the transfer occurring.
- This form is to be provided at least three (3) business days before the transfer, or intended transfer, of the greyhound to a NSW registered trainer; and
- The notification must be made through filling in the "Interstate Trainer Transfer" notification form, and is to be sent via email to the Greyhound Welfare and Integrity Commission; and
- A kennel notification must also be submitted within three (3) business days of the greyhound coming into the custody of a NSW registered trainer receiving the greyhound/s.
Victorian Greyhounds: Additional Requirements
In circumstances where a Victorian trainer is not intending to transfer a greyhound to a NSW participant as above, the following requirements apply, due to the current Victorian government restrictions:
- If a Victorian participant intends nominating their greyhound for a NSW meeting, the greyhound will be permitted to start only if the following criteria is met:
- The greyhound only travels to NSW;
- The greyhound must be on a continuous journey to the race meeting and return as part of that continuous journey (i.e. it does not stay in NSW);
- The Victorian participant provides express written authority to a NSW registered participant to be in charge of the greyhound for the race meeting (and associated travel to and from that meeting) that the greyhound is nominated and races in;
- That the express written authority is provided to GWIC at least three (3) business days prior to the intended journey to and from the race meeting (email Greyhound Welfare and Integrity Commission);
- Further, any Victorian registered owners/trainers intending to travel or relocate to NSW for racing and who have a Border Entry Permit must, if requested by the Commission, provide evidence that they hold a NSW government issued Border Entry Permit that complies with government legislation and health directives, authorising them to enter and remain in NSW.
Please note that all other government Covid-19 guidelines and legislation must be adhered to in NSW and each interstate jurisdiction.
Greyhound Racing Rules R 105(4)(i).